Albany History 1922
Albany History Written in 1922
Albany, the county seat, was established in the year 1874, after a hot contest with Fort Griffin for the seat of government, the latter being at that time soldiers' headquarters.
Albany is surrounded by home owners, whose principle income is derived from extensive stock farming. with ranches ranging from one to twenty sections. The town proper consists of home owners, hence the citizenship is of a permanent class.
It has a school of the first class, affiliated with colleges and universities, of some four hundred students and efficient corps of teachers. The building is a modern stone structure, two stories and basement, located on the highest point in town. It has five good church buildings, with active Sunday schools and well attended church services.
The water supply comes from a reservoir located some three miles north, in the hills, covering a space of some thirty acres, and has stood the test of the state chemist, and tested 100 per cent pure. For light and heat it has an ample supply of gas coming from the Moran field in this county, also an up-to-date electric lighting system.
The merchants have neat and attractive stores and have enjoyed a splendid business for years. It has been said of merchandising in Albany that no merchant has ever gone into bankruptcy, for the reason that the citizenship is of the best. Other assets are one up-to-date gin. one elevator and rock quarry. There are two banks, strong financially, having on deposit some one and one-half millions of dollars, both banks being of old standing. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.