Miles, on U.S. Highway 67, Farm Road 2872, and the Santa Fe Railroad, is located in southwestern Runnels County.
Miles was named for settler Jonathan Miles, who donated $5,000 for the extension of the railroad from Ballinger to San Angelo. The town has also been known as Miles City. It had a population of 814 in 1940. Its restored opera house was placed on the National Register in 1976, and other buildings, including the old country store, are being restored. Miles had a population of 739 in 1950 and nineteen businesses and 650 people in 1960. It had a post office, a bank, several businesses, and a population of 720 in 1980. In 1990 the population was 793. The population grew to 850 by 2000.