First Christian Church of Detroit. This congregation was organized by the Rev. A. H. Darnell in 1901, soon after the town of Bennett Station became known as Detroit. Darnell then served as first pastor of the fellowship and provided leadership for the construction of this sanctuary the following year. Built of lumber cut in nearby mills, the carpenter Gothic structure features lancet windows and a corner tower entry with a gable over the doors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark,1984.
Detroit Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online.