Reagan County History 1922
Reagan County History Written in 1922
Until 1903 Reagan was a part of Tom Green County, joined to the present county by the narrow Panhandle land lying between Irion and Sterling counties. The present county was organized in that year and named for Judge John H. Reagan. The county is a portion of the plains of West Texas, has no running streams, very sparse native timber, and has apparently ample water supply obtained at a distance of from fifteen to two hundred feet underground. Situated about a hundred miles from the nearest railroad, the county has until recently been within the open range district, and the statistics of the livestock industry covered the only important phase of economic development. About 1912, however, the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad was completed through the southern half of the county, from San Angelo westward. That has already inaugurated a new era for the county. There are two railroad stations. Barnhart and Big Lake, while Stiles, the county seat is located away from the railroad. The population of the county at the last census was 377. The assessed value of property in 1903 was $735,625 ; in 1909, $1,125,316; in 1913, $1,279,430 and in 1920, $1,449,534. The last census reported that out of a total area of 685,440 acres, only about two thousand five hundred acres were classified as "improved lands." There were fifty-one farms in the county at that census. Stock interests were enumerated: Cattle, 14,547 ; horses and mules, 781, and sheep, 7,850. In 1909, 832 acres were planted in kafir corn and milo maize, 452 acres in hay and forage crops, and a limited acreage in corn. A limited amount of land is irrigated from wells.
History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.