Weatherford. Founded 1856. Named for Jefferson Weatherford, state senator and a confederate soldier. Frontier people found protection here from constant Indian threat during Civil War. Long the only town between Fort Worth and El Paso. Home of Chandor Gardens and Texas Railroad Museum. Nearby is Double Log Cabin Museum. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1964. Located on West side of Courthouse, US 180, Weatherford.
Weatherford History 1922. Weatherford, which has always been the chief town as the seat of government, had a population in 1860 of 3,369 ; in 1900, 4,786 ; and in 1910, 5,074. The town site was originally built in a grove of elm, oak, hackberry and pecan, and there are many hundreds of these trees still standing about the homes of Weatherford citizens.
Weatherford has exhibited much enterprise not only commercially but in the upbuilding of institutions, and besides its public schools has one denominational institution conducted by the Methodist Church, the Weatherford College for boys. The city has a large list of general business establishments, water works, electric light and natural gas plants, fifty miles of graveled streets, a city hall and federal building, flour mills, machine shops, and grain elevators, several wholesale houses, a large and successful sanatorium in the capacious brick buildings of the quondam Fairmont Seminary, and despite its proximity to Fort Worth controls the trade of a large district. Next to Weatherford one of the oldest villages in the county was Veale Station, which before the coming of the railroad ranked next to the county seat in importance, but is now almost extinct. The principal towns at present outside of Weatherford are Springtown, Poolville, Peaster, Whitt, Millsap and Aledo, all of which have banks, independent school districts, and are the commercial and social centers of surrounding rural communities. Continue Reading Weatherford History Written in 1922 >>
1933 Weatherford City Hall. The construction of this city hall created many jobs for the unemployed in Weatherford during the hard times of the Great Depression. Weatherford citizens passed a bond election to provide funds for a new city hall and fire station in 1933, and construction began immediately on this structure, built on land designated early in the century for city hall and fire department use. Dedication ceremonies for the new facility were held on January 16, 1934. The art deco brick structure features vertical corbelled pilasters and stone coping and inserts. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1987. - Historical Marker Text. Located at 100 block of Palo Pinto Street, Weatherford.
The Weatherford Downtown Historic District is focused on the Parker County Courthouse Square at the heart of this town 30 miles west of Fort Worth in north central Texas. U.S. Highway 80 passes from east to west directly through the square where the courthouse sits high in the middle of a large traffic roundabout. The courthouse square itself is on a slight rise approximately three blocks south of the river. The Trinity river tributary, paralleled by the Texas & Pacific Railroad tracks, cut from southeast to northwest through town. The district is a vaguely cruciform shape, comprised of the courthouse square and the commercial areas that developed along the major arteries that lead into the square. The area to the north and east of the square is more heavily developed than that to the south and west, due to its proximity to the railroad. A major artery of automobile era buildings is concentrated along the east-west axis of Highway 80. A group of churches anchors the district at its southern edge. Architecturally the district is dominated by late 19th and early 20th century commercial buildings in limestone and brick. Also represented are significant governmental and institutional buildings representing several revival and modernistic styles. There are roughly 126 buildings in the area. Continue reading the Weatherford Downtown Historic District National Register Listing >>
Weatherford Post Office. A postal station was first established in Weatherford in 1856. Facilities were located in several early buildings before this structure was completed in 1914. Judge J.M. Richards was postmaster at the time. Built on the site of a gasoline service station and an earlier wagon yard, the post office building was designed in the Classical Revival style. Prominent features include arched windows, quoins, a massive portico with columns, and an elaborate cornice topped by a balustrade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1988. - Historical Marker Text. Located at 117 Fort Worth Street, Weatherford.