Weatherford History 1922
Weatherford History Written in 1922
Weatherford, which has always been the chief town as the seat of government, had a population in 1860 of 3,369 ; in 1900, 4,786 ; and in 1910, 5,074. The town site was originally built in a grove of elm, oak, hackberry and pecan, and there are many hundreds of these trees still standing about the homes of Weatherford citizens.
Weatherford has exhibited much enterprise not only commercially but in the upbuilding of institutions, and besides its public schools has one denominational institution conducted by the Methodist Church, the Weatherford College for boys. The city has a large list of general business establishments, water works, electric light and natural gas plants, fifty miles of graveled streets, a city hall and federal building, flour mills, machine shops, and grain elevators, several wholesale houses, a large and successful sanatorium in the capacious brick buildings of the quondam Fairmont Seminary, and despite its proximity to Fort Worth controls the trade of a large district. Next to Weatherford one of the oldest villages in the county was Veale Station, which before the coming of the railroad ranked next to the county seat in importance, but is now almost extinct. The principal towns at present outside of Weatherford are Springtown, Poolville, Peaster, Whitt, Millsap and Aledo, all of which have banks, independent school districts, and are the commercial and social centers of surrounding rural communities.
In 1870 the aggregate assessment values in Parker County were $1,511,975 ; in 1882, $3,653,138 ; in 1903, $7,187,955 ; in 1913, $13,486, 760; and in 1920, $14,748,820. In 1910 the Federal census enumerated 3,634 farms in Parker County, as compared with 3,529 farms in 1900. The total area of the county is 560,000 acres, of which 510,753 acres were included in farms or ranches, and about 215,000 acres in "improved land." While nearly half the county is now cultivated and the old-time ranches have almost disappeared, the county raises more stock with a greater aggregate value than it did twenty-five or thirty years ago. The stock interests at the last enumeration were reported as follows : Cattle, 22,280; horses and mules about 14,450; hogs, 13,500; goats, 1,030. In 1909, 89,871 acres were planted in cotton, 47,876 acres in corn, 9,524 acres in hay and forage crops, 4,070 acres in wheat, 1,332 acres in oats, about 1,150 acres in potatoes, sweet potatoes and other vegetables ; about 144,000 trees were enumerated in orchard fruits, and about 7,000 pecan trees. Dairying is an industry of increasing value and much cream is shipped from Weatherford. Diversified farming is no longer in an experimental stage in Parker County, and many of the most successful men divide their cultivated acreage among four or five crops. The growing of fruit, especially peaches, is becoming valuable, and the county has gained special fame through its watermelons and cantaloupes. Many watermelons are shipped from this county weighing over a hundred pounds each, and at the St. Louis World's Fair a Parker County melon was awarded first prize for size. The truck crops of Parker County to a large degree are shipped West, even as far as El Paso. Much attention is paid to terracing and advanced methods of agriculture.
- History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.