The town of Poolville built up around a natural spring-fed pool in the Clear Fork of the Trinity River in Parker County. The pool, located one-half mile northeast of the present Poolville Town Square, was a well-known watering place for cattle herds on the way to market. Gradually a settlement grew around the pool area. About 1870 a saloon and a store owned by Jim Taylor provided residents a place to shop, trade, and visit. M.L. Scott operated a sawmill on the east end of the pool. About 1879 A.H. "Major" Dunn donated land for a townsite which led to business and residential growth. A log farmhouse near the pool had served as the community's first school, but after 1879 a building was erected in the new townsite for school and church purposes. Early 20th century business development included the first bank, organized in 1905; two hotels; two blacksmith shops; a post office; saddle and harness shop; wagon yard; telephone office; and a cotton gin. A newspaper, "The Poolville Searchlight" was published about 1910. Homes, churches, and schools completed the community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1992. Located on FM 920, Town Square, Poolville.
Poolville, a town of 400 inhabitants eighteen miles northwest of Weatherford, took its name from a large pool of water, which was east of where the town now stands. The pool was never dry, and it served as a wash place for the pioneer women. Big herds of cattle watered there on their way to West Texas and New Mexico, as did herds from South Texas as they went up the trail to northern markets. The pool was 200 yards long, running six inches deep at the east end and six to eight feet on the west. It was fed by cold springs in the bottom of the pool. After farms were put in cultivation, the sand washed into the pool and it eventually disappeared. It was the head of Clear Fork of the Trinity River.
First saloon kept by Doc Clark in 1880, first teacher was W. T. Baggett in 1879, first church organized was Missionary Baptist by Rev J. F. Head in 18Th M. L. Scott operated a sawmill there in 1877, first postoffice established at Poolville in 1882 by G. A. Holland who also served as first postmaster. Before that time the people at Poolville were getting their mail at Agnes. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 119
Poolville United Methodist Church. In February 1885, six members of the Goshen Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in the eastern part of Parker County, left to form a Methodist church in the farming community of Poolville. The Reverend J. Davis Crockett was called to serve as their first minister. Worship services were held in the Poolville schoolhouse until 1896 when this sanctuary was completed. Throughout its history, Poolville Methodist Church has provided service and leadership to the community and surrounding area. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1983. Located on North Church Street, off FM 920, Poolville.