Brock, a small community located eleven miles southwest from Weatherford, was first settled by James M. Maddux who came to Parker County from Arkansas in 1876. A temporary log shack was erected with a tent stretched over it for a roof. When the new house was finally built, the day was celebrated with a big wild turkey dinner. The turkey was roasted on a rack built from small poles over a fire.
In 1880, Willie Brannon and Henry Brock erected a cotton gin and grist mill. Riley Davis put up the first grocery store.
In 1892 a postoffice was established by J. M. Cherry. The mail was brought from Millsap by Burnett Taylor. Later John W. Jones was postmaster. Several years later Mrs. Polly Brock was appointed postmistress and a rural route was established.
The old log house which James Maddux built when he first went to Brock is still standing in the field of Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Bell. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, pages 116-117.
Brock Methodist Church. In 1876 James and Sarah Maddux moved their family from Arkansas to Texas. They purchased land here and settled in this community originally named Olive Branch. In 1880 James and Sarah Maddux donated land for a school, cemetery and churches. The Methodist Church was established in 1882 with the Maddux family among the charter members. They first met in the brush arbor and later met in a log building and in a tabernacle, sharing meeting facilities with the Baptist Church. Worship services were conducted by visiting preachers until 1892 when the Rev. E.J. Maxwell became pastor of the church. In 1908 the cornerstone for a church building was laid and a sanctuary was constructed. By 1951 the congregation was declining. A new pastor and a few dedicated members began to rebuild the church. Later facilities were added and the sanctuary was refurbished. The congregation grew steadily and became active in domestic and foreign missionary activities and in many community outreach programs. Brock United Methodist Church provides traditional programs for its members and has been an integral part of the community for more than a century. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997. Located at 127 Lazy Bend Road, Brock.