Long Branch, Texas
Longbranch is not one of the oldest towns that one would expect it to be. Being close to Clayton, Fairplay and Pine Hill, only three miles away, its populace was scattering and its organization was not as early as these named. It is located on a long clear branch or stream, unsurpassed in the natural beauty and course, clear water and pebbly beds throughout its length.
Some of the names of the very earliest settlers obtainable are as follows: Williamsons, McCormacks, Halley, Listers, Owens, Hughes, Holders, Longs, Ashs, and Griffins. Later there were Roquemores, Turners, Cassitys, and many others.
Mr. Will Ash built the first store. Jerry H. Long was one of the earliest school teachers—today we speak of him as Judge J. H. Long, one of the best known citizens of the County.
Longbranch had a post office at an early date. Mr. Halley, post master and later assisted by his son, Pope Halley. A telephone office was also rendering service among the first in the County's smaller towns. Continue reading Longbranch History from 1936 >>