Gary History 1936
There are two churches—Methodist and Baptist. The Methodist in recent years have built a modern church building on a new location near their parsonage.
The Baptist church has been pastoral for twenty-eight years by Rev. J. H. Waller of Mt. Enterprise, Texas. Some of the devout christians that have helped much in making the social and the christian life of the town what it is, are as follows: Rev. and Mrs. J. W. McLeroy, Dr. and Mrs. Z. Daniels, Mr. and Mrs. Josh Ford, Mrs. O. L. Collins, Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Hull, M. M. Hull, W. E. Hull, J. E. Cassity, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Brannon, Mr. and Mrs. Gus Marshall, and Mrs. N. A. Hull.
From a five room school building that had grown from a one room house in the earliest days, in 1917 employing five teachers with J. Brookshire as Superintendent, the building has grown to a two story brick building with nine teachers with a three hundred and fifty enrollment. This school has an equipped gymnasium laboratory and credits sufficient to be eligible for state affiliation. An active Parent-Teachers Association aiding in a most substantial way.
The following Superintendents have pioneered the school life of Gary efficiently: Supts. J. Bookshire, C. Applegate, J. H. Brumble, J. R. Nichols, W. J. McElroy, John Brinson, W. R. Ety, and W. T. Brinson; later teachers—Heaton and W. T. Bridges.
The following sons of Gary have risen to some degree of prominence: Hon. T. O. Walton, President, A. M. College; J. E. Stanford, for a number of years associated with East Texas Chamber of Commerce, as Secretary and Hon. J. W. Davis, a prominent Dallas Attorney and Senator, son of Dr. Davis, an old resident of Gary. Others that have served their County are: D. C. Hill, A. O. Stanford, T. K. Brannon, and W. D. Heaton.
Doctors Copeland, Davis and Daniels have served their people well in their medical profession and of these three, Dr. Daniels is one still carrying on. His son Dr. DuBose Daniels is associated with the Tri-State Sanitarium, Shreveport, La.
History of Panola County, 1936