Strawn History 1922. Strawn was incorporated in 1920. Its population has doubled in the last two years and is now about 5,000. It has two strong banks, the First National Bank and the First States Bank ; and two of the largest mercantile establishments of the West. The Strawn Merchandise Company, owned and operated by the Strawn Coal Company, has a capital of $5,000,000. The Watson Brothers is also a solid and substantial concern.
The Coal Company owns the Light & Water Plant, and gas for heating purposes is furnished by E. M. Treat & Company. Plans for a sewerage system are in progress. Two new churches have recently been erected. being the Methodist Episcopal Church, to cost $80.000, and the BaptistChurch, to cost $50,000.
The Strawn Tribune is a six-column weekly newspaper owned and edited by S. D. Taylor.
The school building is a substantial two story brick structure con taining thirty rooms, erected about ten years ago, and is used for grade and high school purposes. It proved to be inadequate to the demand, and in June, 1920, work was begun on a new and larger school building, which will soon be completed and occupied. The new building, with its equipment, will cost around $100,000, and is provided with a large auditorium having a stage. This room will be used for school assemblies, lyceum courses and public gatherings. In the basement are a good sized gymnasium, rooms for sewing, domestic science and for manual training. The building is heated throughout with hot air, gas being used for fuel, although coal grates have also been supplied for use in case of a gas shortage. There are now 115 pupils in the high school and 830 in the different grades. For the last ten years the schools have been under the charge of Professor L. T. Cook, with a staff of nineteen teachers in the literary department and three in the department of music and expression. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.