Corpus Christi History 1937
The development of the oil industry, and the rapid growth of the city’s importance as a shipping center, has brought progress in all lines. Last year for example, was the second largest in building construction in the city’s history, having been exceeded only by 1925, when the warehouses at the Port, and several large cotton compress units, were built. Building permits in the metropolitan area in 1936, were in the neighborhood of $4,000,000, and among the new structures erected were 953 new homes. The shore line extending south, has become dotted with fine homes for several miles, and many more arc being erected.
Corpus Christi has several modern hotels. A new one containing 425 rooms and apartments, to be named the “Robert Driscoll” in honor of the “former chairman of the navigation commission, will be opened in about a year. It is being erected by Mrs. Clara Driscoll Sevier, Democratic national committeewoman from Texas. The new hotel will be on Corpus Christi’s famous bluff.
The local school system consists of a senior high school, two junior high schools, and seven ward schools. Teachers employed total 225. Scholastic enrollment as this is written totals 10,300, a gain of 1,507 over the preceding year. Five years ago less than 5,000 pupils were enrolled in the city’s public schools.
Modern office buildings pierce the sky.
Theaters offer the latest pictures.
A public library is maintained by the city, a new home having been purchased recently.
Many denominations attend to mankind’s religious needs.
Over fifty miles of paved streets are in use.
The water and gas distribution system is municipally owned, the rates being very reasonable, gas especially; the charge to household consumers being 60 cents per 1,000 cubic feet. Rates to industrial users are substantially lower.
Industrialization is taking place. The largest plant in operation is that of the Southern Alkali Corporation, engaged in the manufacture of basic alkalis out of South Texas’ natural resources. The alkali plant, employing about 350 men, is located at the west end of the industrial canal, and upon an auxiliary turning basin measuring 800 by 1,600 feet. Private docks are maintained.
Adjacent to Corpus Christi is some of the world’s best agricultural land. It produces bounteously. Cotton is this area’s principal money crop, Nueces County’s average annual production for the last ten years being over 90,000 bales. Winter vegetables are grown in season; about 2,500 car loads being shipped annually from Nueces County.
Paved highways lead in all directions. Three trunk line railways serve the city. “The sails meet the rails in Corpus Christi.”
The State of Texasbook: one hundred years of progress 1937, page 226-229