Sweetwater History 1922. Sweetwater is now one of the leading railroad centers in this section of the state, and is growing as an industrial and commercial city. In the vicinity are found some large deposits of gypsum, and considerable quantities of the manufactured product are shipped. Sweetwater in 1900 had a population of only 670 and was a small town, but by 1910 its population was 4,176, and in 1920 it had a population of 6,000. It has a modern high school and three ward schools, six churches, three banks, with a capitalization of $280,000 and $2,000,00 deposits. There is one mill and elevator, one tractor and truck factory, one large cotton seed oil mill, one refinery, one large planing mill, one marble works. one cement block factory, one large machine shop, three trunk lines of railroads, one of which maintains shops and division. There are two saddle shops, two mattress factories, one broom factory, one candy factory, three cotton gins, one compress, three wholesale groceries, one large heavy hardware, two distributing implement houses, one mail order house, two wholesale rubber houses and three automobile accessory houses.
There will be another refinery after the first of the year and one large gypsum factory. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.