Newton County, Texas
Newton County, located in southeastern Texas on the Louisiana border, is surrounded by Louisiana on the east, Orange County to the south, Jasper County to the west, and Sabine County to the north. Newton, the geographic center and largest town of the county, is seventy miles northeast of Beaumont.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Belgrade | Biloxi | Bleakwood | Bon Wier | Buckhorn | Burkeville | Call (partly in Jasper County) | Cedar Grove | Cotland | Deweyville | Farrsville | Ford | Hartburg | Howards | Indian Hill | Jamestown | Laurel | Lee's Mill | Mayflower | New Columbia | Newton - county seat | Palmetto | Pine Grove | Princeton | Quicksand | Salem | Shankleville | South | Spears Chapel | Stringtown | Survey | Sycamore | Toledo Bend | Trotti | Trout Creek | Wiergate
The state legislature marked off Newton County on April 22, 1846, from the eastern half of Jasper County and named it in honor of John Newton, a veteran of the American Revolution. The county's boundaries have remained unchanged since that time save for a small cession along the western border to Jasper in 1852. The issue of the location of the courthouse dominated Newton County's early history. Electors originally voted to place the seat at the center of the county, and the first commissioners' court meetings convened near Quicksand Creek as a result. However, citizens of Burkeville successfully petitioned the Texas legislature to make their town the county seat in 1848. Voters narrowly approved the new location the following year. In 1853 a dispute concerning land titles, followed by yet another election, resulted in the move of offices to Newton, a newly established community at the geographic center of the county. Burkeville citizens refused to give up the struggle, and an 1855 plebiscite favored Burkeville by a small majority. County officials refused to leave Newton, however, convincing the legislature to recognize that city as the proper seat of government, where it has since remained. Read Newton County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Newton County. Formed from Jasper County; created April 22, 1846, organized July 13, 1846. Named in honor of Sergeant John Newton, 1752-1807. Hero of the American Revolution. County seat, Newton, 1846; Burkeville, 1848; Newton, since 1853. - Historical Marker Text. marker erected 1936. Located about 3 mi SE of Newton on US 190 in roadside park.
Glimpses of Newton County History, 1982 by Newton County Historical Commission.
Crosscuts: An Anthology of Memoirs of Newton County Folk, 1984 by the Newton County Historical Commission.
Newton County has been home to three courthouses and two county seats. The first courthouse, a small wood-frame building was located in Burkeville. When Newton became the county seat, a new courthouse was built. The in 1902, the current courthouse was built. Despite a devastating fire in 2000, which destroyed much of the building causing a major restoration, the courthouse is still in use today. More on the Newton County Courthouses >>