Farrsville. In the 1830s, this area was part of the Lorenzo De Zavala land grant. One of the early settlers was American Revolutionary War veteran Thomas C. Holmes. Once called Farr's Mill, the community was named for Alfred Farr, who established nearby Farr's Chapel Methodist Church. Before the Civil War large plantations stood along the military and stagecoach road. A water mill, grist mill, cotton gin, sawmill and tannery made this a major trade center. Farrsville Post Office operated until 1948. After consolidation with the Burkeville District, the schoolhouse became a Union Church. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1966. Marker located in the Newton County Historical Center, Newton.
Farrsville Cemetery. Methodist minister Alfred Farr arrived in Newton County prior to 1860, and the community that grew around his homesite came to be known as Farrsville. The cemetery established at this site was first called Hines Cemetery. M.D. Hines, Sr., owned a homestead near the burial ground, and five early graves bear the name Hines. The earliest known burial is that of Jane Victor Smith, who died in 1859. The site was not officially designated as a cemetery until William Smith deeded a "two acre tract reserved for church, school house and grave yard" in 1878. The name of the burial ground was officially changed to Farrsville Cemetery in 1992 upon the creation of the Farrsville Cemetery Association. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2001. Location: Wiergate; go 6 mi. W of Wiergate on Hwy 63, turn right (NE) on CR 1052, then left (NW) on CR 1053, cemetery if immediately left (W) of CR 1053 .