Cedar Grove, Texas
Cedar Grove Community. Following the Civil War, a group of freedmen established the Cedar Grove community, coming here to take advantage of the area's strong cotton market. The community was namedn for the cedars that once existed here before they were cut for lumber. A focal point for the residents was the Cedar Grove Community Church, which members of the Spears Chapel Church helped organize. A school, which first met in the church building, and several businesses also existed. Although Cedar Grove declined due to the discontinuation of river transportation in the 1880s and disease and floods in the early 20th century, the church and a cemetery serve as reminders of the former community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2008. Located 1.6 mi. E on CR 2076 from its intersection with FM 1414, SW of Burkeville.