Pleasant Grove, Texas
Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church. Established before the Civil War by pioneer area settlers, this congregation first met in a schoolhouse on the property of William Harvey Beeman (1817-1860), a member of the Mercer Colony. Early services were conducted by Methodist circuit riders, including the Rev. J. E. Ferguson, the father of Texas Governor James E. Ferguson. In 1870 the congregation purchased a building site (2 mi. SW) in conjuction with a local Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Known as Goshen, the eighteen-acre tract was also used for camp meetings. Usually held after the harvesting of crops, the religious meetings often lasted several weeks. Church trustees acquired property at this site in 1877 from the estate of Jubilee Lafayette McKinney (1810-1872). A grove of oak trees here was the possible inspiration for the congregational name. Services were first conducted in a brush arbor and later in a frame sanctuary, which was replaced by a newer structure in 1905. Membership of Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church has included many pioneer area families and leaders of the surrounding area.- Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1981. Located 1 mi. S of intersection of SH 31 and 45th St (FM 2555) on E side of Rd., Corsicana.
Pleasant Grove 1933. The Pleasant Grove Church was built about fifty years ago. Among the first to preach there was the father of James Ferguson, one of the Ex-Governors of Texas. M. K. Little was one of the early pastors. Among the members of that early church, were the Swearingens, F. M. Storys, Megaritys, J. D. Hamiltons, Youngs, Joel Garners, M. M. Dicksons, Ramseys, Holloways, Allsbrooks, Stovers, Littles, and McBrides. - History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love