Petty's Chapel History 1933
Petty's Chapel History Written in 1933
Petty's Chapel. The earliest recorded history of Petty's Chapel begins with a camp meeting held by the Cumberland Presbyterians in 1852 on the North bank of Chambers Creek. People from all over the county attended. This camp meeting lasted for ten to fourteen days and was attended by members of all denominations. People came in buggies, wagons, on horseback and on foot great distances and this location attained its importance from having been centrally located to many of the early settlements.
Meador's School was located on the old O. J. Meador farm and was operated as a pay school beginning about the year 1870. After four or five years a second school was located slightly to the Southeast on land given by G. V. Petty and it was from this Mr. Petty that Petty's Chapel took its name.
Originally it was necessary to cross Chambers Creek on a ferry boat and both ferry boat and the store at the crossing were operated by Jim Petty. He sold this business to Mr. Hogan, who will be remembered from previous chapters as the man who built the first bridge over Chambers Creek.
The first church at Petty's Chapel was a Methodist church built on the R. Q. Mills place about 1885. The first pastor of this church was Andrew Davis who was the father of B. L. Davis, a prominent lawyer now living in Corsicana. Rev. Andrew Davis preached over the county at other places—was consecrated and loved by his congregations. After about seven years membership was transferred from Petty's Chapel to Zion Rest. About 1890 land was donated to the Baptist denomination for a church by Mr. Duren and this church was built as it now stands. The first pastor was Rev. Beasley.
On the J. L. Walton land near Petty's Chapel, oil wells were drilled in the year 1894. Of the forty-nine wells drilled, forty-two are still pumping oil, including the discovery well.
One of the first fields of wheat in the entire Navarro County was planted at Petty's Chapel by J. C. Blankenship and P. McCammon in 1873 and was threshed with a machine operated by horsepower.
Petty's Chapel was the scene of many gatherings of old, such as fairs and horse races and one of the horses which competed was "Charlie M", a cow pony that was trained into being a fine track horse and named for Charlie Huskey from whom the horse was bought. When this horse died in 1899 its owner, Mr. Mitten, erected in its honor a large stone monument which still stands on the South side of the road near the creek.
- History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love