Frost History 1933
Frost History Written in 1933
Frost. About four miles from the present location of Blooming Grove was an early settlement which was called Cross Roads and among the first to settle near here was J. A. Tullos in 1868. Colonel Jones settled near Cross Roads in 1869 and owned approximately 2500 acres of land and about 2500 head of horses. Others were Barney Gleen, Sam and Nathan Hollingsworth, Raleigh Hightower, Bob and Archie Calhoun, Rev. Henry Sears, Rev. H. M. McCord, Jim Sears, W. N. Haines and Rev. J. G. Way.
These pioneers soon made their plans for a church and school and the first building was erected on the Southwest corner of J. G. Way's land in which building school was taught for two terms. This building was later moved to the McCord community and another built near the home now owned by P. O. Brinson. A new Baptist church was built near the school house where for several years school was taught by Tom Smith, who was later elected county superintendent of education. In 1875 this building burned and a new building was built at the cross roads, the lower story being used for a school and the upper story for a Masonic Lodge.
Cross Roads soon became a prosperous village with a post office, five stores, a gin, a broom factory, and both Baptist and Methodist churches. In 1881 the railroad was built from Corsicana to Hillsboro and the new station near Cross Roads was called Frost. All of the business houses soon moved to the location around the railroad station hence the town of Frost, is to an extent, an outgrowth of the early village known as Cross Roads.
In 1888 Colonel Henry Jones assisted in establishing a school at which Miss Frankie Long was the first teacher. This school was called the Henry Jones School and was later moved nearer to the center of the district where it now stands.
Wylie N. Jones who came to Navarro County in 1874 was one of the early settlers of Frost, having owned a gin as early as the year 1878 in this community. In 1890 he completed a system of waterworks to supply the town of Frost with water from the adjoining lake and on this lake Mr. Jones built a small steamboat which is one of the few ever operated on inland waters of Central Texas.
In 1930 a very disastrous cyclone struck the business section of Frost, completely destroying everything in its path. Twenty-two people were killed and sixty-odd injured. With the usual courage and determination of the descendants of the early pioneers the citizens of Frost are rebuilding their town and it continues to be a thriving and prosperous little Texas city.
The town of Frost was named in honor of the Honorable Sam R. Frost and his father, W. W. Frost.
Others of the early families who resided in Frost were those of R. J. Sanders, J. H. Galbraith and Dr. R. Knox. J. H. Taylor operated a drug store in Frost. He had the misfortune of being killed by one of the first trains which came into the town after the building of the railroad. The Sheppard family was also one of the pioneer families as were the families of George Smith, Sam Moser and Tom Meador.
Some others of leading or long-time citizens of Frost are Dick Gaines, mayor ; councilmen Will Sims and Aleck Strain ; Ed Dickson, marshal ; Rev. Cagle, pastor of Baptist Church ; Rev. Haynes, pastor of Methodist Church ; J. E. Laney, editor of Frost Enterprise ; W. H. Harrison, superintendent of schools ; Mr. McMicken, principal of schools ; Mrs. McMicken, teacher of music; Mrs. J. E. Lattimore, teacher of expression; J. W. Matlock, president of Frost National Bank ; H. Arrington, cashier of Frost National Bank ; Jerry Scott, president of Citizens State Bank; Ben Whaley, cashier of Citizens State Bank; Dr. Matlock, Lindsey Morgan, lumber ; Mrs. Lydia Grimes, Sam Jones, D. K. Robinson and wife, Mrs. Mitchell. John Beck was for many years one of Frost's loyal and enterprising citizens.
History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love