Bazette History 1933. Among some other settlements that were contemporary with Taos was Bazette's Crossing, at which point a ferry was operated by an early settler from which the ferry took its name. There was no settlement at the location of the ferry but after the ferry had been in operation some few years a settlement called Bazette grew up a few miles West of the crossing. Soon it was found that a school and church were needed and an old fashioned log rolling was held and the house which served as both the seat of education and religious worship was built, being replaced a few years later by a still better edifice which is still known as Prairie Point Church. About 1872 a Mr. Elliston built a store and a post office was established and called Bazette. Parson Hickman, a Hardshell Baptist preacher, lived there and John Street. Two of the early teachers were a Mr. Hook and a Mr. Flowers. In the same building services were conducted for the Cumberland Presbyterians by the Rev. Modrall ; for Baptists by Revs. Hines, Puryear, Simmons, Compere, Freeman and Muffins. Continue Reading the History of Bazette Written in 1933 >>
Bazette Baptist Church and Cemetery. The early farming settlement of Bazette, named for a Baptist preacher, developed before the Civil War. In 1881, postmaster and store owner William Ellison (1840-1906) deeded land at this site for the community's Baptist church. First known as Liberty Missionary Baptist Church, the congregation may have formed as early as the 1860s. In 1890, the deacons purchased adjoining land from J. L. Jennings for the establishment of a cemetery. The oldest marked grave is that of Jhonnie Hiett (1881-1891). The church and cemetery serve as reminders of the area's early history. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1986. Location: from Kerens, take FM 636 about 5 miles NW to CR NE 3140, go E about 0.4 miles to CR NE 3090, go S to church and cemetery on E side of road.