Barry History 1933
History of Barry Written in 1933
Barry takes its name from the fact that it was first located on land owned by Bryan T. Barry. The town originally was about one mile South of its present location, moving North upon the coming of the Cotton Belt railroad.
Some of the early merchants of the old town were Sam Taylor, Watson Brothers, E. W. Caldwell, Ross and Gibson and T. A. Hutcheson. In addition to these merchants some of the early settlers in and around Barry were the Woodruffs from Georgia, the Mitchells, Varnells, Browns, Scroggins, Wrights, Geo. Williams and Hodges families.
Records indicate that the first school building in Barry was a frame house 20 feet by 40 feet in size, and Frank Folk, T. A. Thornell and Jim Watson were among the early teachers.
Some of the leading and official citizens of Barry at the present time are : Rev. H. B. Prather, pastor of the Baptist Church ; Rev. Brice Cox, pastor of Methodist Church ; J. C. Watson, superintendent of schools ; Dr. Baugh, physician ; R. W. Varnell, dry goods store ; Bourland Co., groceries; Jim Carroll, groceries and ice; M. Means, druggist; Farmers (Cooperative) Gin.
Women active in civic and school interests are : Mrs. J. C. Watson, president of P. T. A.; Mrs. J. D. Bourland, Mrs. R. A. Varnell (Red Cross) ; Mrs. L. C. Boswell, Mrs. Ben Freeman, Mrs. C. E. Watson, Mrs. H. J. Reed, Mrs. Walter Mitchell.
History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love