Pleasant Grove, Texas
Pleasant Grove Cemetery. Named for the live oaks banking Simms Creek, Pleasant Grove was settled by Civil War veterans from both the North and South. The farm of Tom Berry (1844-1926) of Alabama adjoined this cemetery, opened with the burial of his daughter Mary (1872-1876). Pleasant Grove Methodist Church and a community school also stood nearby. Donations maintained the site until a cemetery association was organized in 1969. Church trustees added 15 acres to the burial ground in 1970. In over 400 graves, many unmarked, lie early settlers and their descendants. Historical marker erected 1977. Marker located on FM 572, 12 miles southeast of Goldthwaite.