Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

North Brown, Texas

History

North Brown Cemetery. Named for creek followed by homeseekers, this burial ground originated about 1857 when death struck at a nearby campsite. In the 1870s North Brown farming community surrounded this site. It had a school and held church services in the schoolhouse. In 1895 local leaders A. A. Boulter, G. M. O'Quin, and J. S. Weatherby secured a deed to the acreage in which graves had so long existed, and the North Brown Cemetery Association was formed. After school had closed, proceeds from sale of its site were pledged in 1967 for cemetery care. Pioneer families continue burials here. Historical Marker erected in 1976.  Marker location: Off SH 16 on private road, 5 mi. N of Goldthwaite

Location

31° 33' 19.836" N, 98° 34' 1.272" W