Sandy is located on Farm Road 2310 five miles south of Coolidge in northern Limestone County.
Sandy was founded as a church community by former slaves in the early 1870s. In 1902 the Sandy Grove Primitive Baptist Church was meeting in a brush arbor, but residents soon built a more permanent structure. The school at Sandy, known as Oak Hill School, burned in 1920, and students were sent to a neighboring district. New church buildings were constructed in 1930 and in 1957. Sandy reported a population of five in 1988 through 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Old Sandy Creek Cemetery. Following Emancipation in 1865, many former Limestone County slaves established their own homes. Those settling in this area included Sawney Henry and Davey Medlock, founders of Sandy M.E. Church and Sandy community. This site served as the early burial ground for the agricultural settlement, also known as Oak Grove. By 1900, the Sandy Creek Graveyard, Church and School Land Association maintained the site. Most of the graves here are those of former slaves, with the last known burial made in 1943. By that time, residents had established a newer burial ground. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004. - Historical Marker Text. Located near Echols, approx 8 mi. W of Mexia, on CR 191, near intersection of FM 2310 and CR 180