Prairie Hill, Texas
Prairie Hill was named for a rise in the prairie between Christmas Creek and the Navasota River. According to one account the first store at the site was established by Marquis Perry; when the settlement was granted a post office in 1884, Perry became the first postmaster. By 1890 about twenty-five people lived in the town, which by then included a general store, a gristmill, and two cotton gins. A Masonic temple was organized in 1892, a school was established in 1894, and about that time the town also had a blacksmith shop. By 1896 Prairie Hill had grown to a population of about 200 and had five churches and two hotels. By 1904, however, its population had declined to 152. Its post office was discontinued in 1906. A Church of Christ was built in Prairie Hill in 1913, but the community remained without a post office until 1925. The town continued to grow during the late 1920s and early 1930s. By 1929 Prairie Hill had a bank and about 300 residents; though the bank closed in 1931, by 1933 the town had ten businesses, and its population had grown to about 500. Continue Reading Prairie Hill History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Prairie Hill Baptist Church. This congregation was organized on October 18, 1885, with 12 charter members from the Mount Antioch Baptist Church. Assisting with the organization and ordination of deacons was Ezekiel Jackson Billington (1826-1896), who had been ordained as a minister by the Mount Antioch Church. Billington helped organize a number of churches in the area, including those at Froza, Horn Hill, Hubbard, and Mount Calm. His daughter Madora and her husband, J. R. Leathers, donated land at first site for a church building and cemetery. The first sanctuary was completed in 1890. George L. Jennings (1830-1911), who had served in the Confederate army during the Civil War, was called to be the first pastor of the Prairie Hill congregation. He had preached in Mississippi before coming to Texas in 1873. Early members of the fellowship were primarily cotton and corn farmers from the surrounding area. Preaching services were held Sunday mornings and evenings. A Sunday School program and Bible classes were begun later. Over the years, the Prairie Hill Baptist Church has become an important part of the religious heritage of Limestone County. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1985. Located 1 mile N of Prairie Hill on FM 339.
Prairie Hill Cemetery. Prairie Hill Baptist Church members built a sanctuary here in 1890 on 3 acres donated by J. R. and Medora Leathers. A portion of the acreage near the sanctuary was set aside in 1894 to established this community cemetery. The first recorded burial was that of Eula Jane Howard on June 29, 1894. The Prairie Hill Cemetery Association, established in 1958 and chartered in 1975, maintains the cemetery which has been enlarged over the years. Interred here are area pioneer settlers and their descendants, and veterans of conflicts ranging from the Civil War to Vietnam. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994. Located 1 mile N of Prairie Hill on FM 339.