Lamb County History 1922
Lamb County History Written in 1922
Lamb County lies directly west of Hale County, was created in 1876 and was organized in June 1908, with Olton as the county seat. [Littlefield became the county seat in 1946.] In 1911 the Texico-Coleman branch of the Santa Fe Railroad was built across the county, leaving Olton to one side, and several other stations have since been established along the line. The railroad has opened up the land for agricultural settlement, but it is still strictly a cattle county, and the greater portion of its area is included within large ranches. The surface is quite level, except where broken by three tributaries of the Brazos River, and it is devoid of timber except the groves planted by ranchmen. Excellent results have been obtained by the few farmers who have recently settled, and the staple crops of the Panhandle region have been successfully grown.
At the census of 1890 Lamb County had a population of 4, in 1890, 31. in 1910, 540 and in 1920, 1,175. The total area of the county is 654,000 acres. About 14,000 acres were classified as "improved land" at the last census, as compared with 370 acres in 1900.
There were five farms in 1900 and ninety-two in 1910. The county's prominence as a cattle district is indicated by the statistics for 1910. enumerating 40,355 cattle and about 1,300 horses and mules. In 1920 the number of cattle was 42,000 and of horses and mules, 2,052. In 1909 an acreage of 5,048 was planted in hay and forage crops, and a small amount of land in corn, kaffir corn and other crops. Fruit growing has made some progress, and at the last census about 2,700 orchard fruit trees were enumerated. The valuation of property in the county in 1913 was $3,187,014 and in 1920, $6,179,186. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.