Stamford History 1922
Stamford History Written in 1922
Stamford, Texas, the metropolis of Jones County, has just attained its majority, being twenty-one years of age. It was named for Stamford, Connecticut, the home of Henry C. McHarge, who was the moving spirit in the construction of the Texas Central Railroad.
The first business in Stamford was the hardware firm of Penick Hughes Co. The first bank was named the First National Bank, established by R. V. Colbert and associates, Mr. Colbert still being the head of the institution. The well-known progressive spirit of Stamford started with the birth of the town, the first Chamber of Commerce having been organized in a tent, with R. L. Penick as president. A commercial organization of some sort has been maintained since that time.
The city has grown steadily, and correctly boasts of never having had a boom. Its enterprise and civic improvement has attracted nation-wide interest because it has been a leader in this respect. It was the first city in Texas west of Fort Worth to construct brick pavements, and at present has thirty-two blocks of such pavements and forty-two graveled. It leads in another respect in that its Chamber of Commerce and municipal authorities have always worked in harmony. It made an advance step recently along this line by forming an interlocutory arrangement in which it selected a city manager, with practically all offices combined in the same, said city manager being the chairman of the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce, this completing the interlocutory arrangements.
The population of Stamford, according to the census of 1920, was 3,700, but the scholastic census belied these figures, because there is enrollment of 1,051 in the scholastic population. It has a taxable valuation of 3,136,880 dollars. Its most forward step of recent years has been to vote a half million dollars for water works system, the supply to come from the Brazos River, eighteen miles distant, and when the system is completed it will be competent to impound more than two billion gallons of water, which will not only be an adequate supply of water for a town of Stamford's size but one of 25,000 people, and at the same time furnish irrigation for several thousand acres of land. All of the possibilities that can come from the system already outlined will be utilized, and the question of conservation and irrigation in the Stamford section will be a realization.
The city is now planning to enlarge its independent school district to comprehend more than one hundred sections of land, and when this is completed it will take the place of a junior college.
Stamford has all of the public service corporations, and they are maintained in a satisfactory manner. It has five railway outlets, with five passenger trains going each way daily ; has more miles of sidewalks and more blocks of paving than any city of its size in the state, and its progressiveness in all things has become a matter of comment through, out the country. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.