Jones County Courthouses
Jones County Courthouse 1881 - First Courthouse, During the interval that the county seat was moved from Phantom Hill to Jones City (renamed Anson), in 1881, court was held at the home of W.H. Smith, County Clerk.
Jones County Courthouse 1881 - First Permanent Courthouse, Anson. Small frame building, 24x32 ft., built with an ox-drawn wagonload of lumber from Abilene (brought in by Frank Huie). The building was in use until 1884.
Jones County Courthouse 1884 - Second Courthouse, Anson. A Hotel used until 1886. This was a two-story building on Block 10, Lot 4 of the city plat that had been built for a hotel. The building cost $2,250 to purchase.
Jones County Courthouse 1886 - Brick Courthouse, Anson. A new brick building was erected in the center of town, with the building and grounds occupying all of Block 15. The brick was made in the county and the cost of the building was $23,000. This building also housed a jail. This new courthouse was centrally located in the public square, and aligned along the main north-south street, Commercial. Used until 1910.
Jones County Courthouse 1911 - Current Courthouse, Anson. Beaux Arts style courthouse designed by Elmer George Withers. In late 1909, the Jones County commissioners court, led by County Judge J. R. Stinson, determined that the growth of the county called for a larger courthouse. They selected Elmer G. Withers of Stamford (15 mi. N) and the Texas Building Company of Fort Worth as architect and contractor, respectively. Completed in 1910, the Jones County courthouse is an excellent example of Beaux Arts styling, with influences from the Arts and Crafts movement found in the decorative painting uncovered during a 1990s rehabilitation on the ceiling of the district courtroom. Other notable features include the statue of Lady Justice atop the domed clock tower and the pedimented porticoes with flanking pairs of Ionic columns on each façade. Constructed of brick and Pecos red sandstone, the Jones County courthouse continues to stand as an important part of Anson's architectural heritage and a center of politics and government for the citizens of the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000. - Historical marker text. Located at the corner of 11th St. and Commercial (US 277/83), Anson.
In 1989, the courtroom was restored; historic pews were replaced with new ones. Foundation was stabilized; repair or replace sandstone, drainage popes and the parapet cap; repointing brick throughout exterior; remove aluminum storm windows and restoring 100 historic wood sash windows; install interior storm windows; repairing 'Justice' statue on the dome and restoring original 24-hour rotation; repairing courthouse clock; cleaning fire escape and metal railings to bright metal; remodel basement to accommodate a visitor information center. Project was let to contract in July 1996 and a grand opening ceremony was held August 1, 1997. - National Register of Historic Places Listing.