Johnson County Courthouses
Johnson County Courthouse, 1854, Wardville - First Courthouse. (Wardville was the county seat from 1854-1856.)
Johnson County Courthouse, 1858, Buchanan - Second Courthouse, a two story wood frame 16'x16' structure. (Buchanan was the county seat from 1856-1867.)
Johnson County Courthouse, 1869, Cleburne - First Courthouse in Cleburne. Two story brick, square building with a T hallway, built by Joseph W. Anderson. Demolished in 1882
Johnson County Courthouse, 1883, Cleburne - Burned April 15, 1912. On April 15, 1912 (coincidentally the day the Titanic sank), the handsome 2nd Empire County Courthouse burned, taking life of City Marshall Albert Bledsoe. The burnt 1883 courthouse was architecturally significant in its own right and had been designed by prolific courthouse architect Wesley Clark Dodson (1828-1914), who was responsible for similar courthouses in adjacent Hood (National Register 1974), Hill (N.R. 1971) and Parker (N. R. 1971) Counties.
Johnson County Courthouse, 1913, Cleburne - Current Courthouse. The Johnson County Courthouse is a freestanding structure occupying a full block at the heart of the Cleburne commercial district. The structure is essentially rectangular in shape. It is three stories high with a full, raised basement and a square tower rising another five stories or so. East and west elevations are seven bays wide in the center pavilion with an additional three bays at each side. North and south elevations are five bays wide. There are generally paired, one-over-one windows; most retain their wooden frames. The roof is flat, except for a hemispherical dome atop the tower. The basement level is clad in Texas pink granite ashlar, while the brickwork of the first floor is rusticated. Second and third floors are faced with smooth Elgin brick, and all four sides have central colonnades with stylized, Giant Order Composite columns.
The Courthouse is surmounted by an approximately 90' central clock tower. The first floor of the tower contains courthouse storage and the upper portion of the central atrium, while the bulk of the tower is a hollow shaft. The capitol portion of the tower has clocks facing cardinal directions flanked by terra cotta ornamentation in a chain like pattern, which in turn have Sullivanesque pendants below. - From the National Register Listing.