Cleburne History 1922
Cleburne County History Written in 1922
Cleburne is the county seat of Johnson County and was founded in 1867, when the county seat was moved from Buchanan, about six miles north of Cleburne, and was named in honor of Gen. Patrick Cleburne, a distinguished officer of the Confederate Army.
Cleburne has a population of 12,820, assessed valuation of $11,536,350, the taxation rate is 89 cents on the $100. It is on the main line of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe and the Trinity Brazos Valley railways, and on a branch of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas from Egan, nine miles in length, and has a connection with Fort Worth by the interurban railway.
It is famous for its well equipped schools, modern churches and fine private homes. The court house, postoffice and school buildings are all modern and substantial structures. There are about twenty churches within the city limits, representing all of the Protestant denominations, and a small Catholic church. It has a public library, to which Andrew Carnegie contributed $20,000, which is a tasteful and ornamental structure completed in 1905. It is supported by taxation and now contains about 10,000 volumes, besides magazines and periodicals. The city of Cleburne claims to have the largest school population and the most money invested in school property of any town of its size in the United States. The public schools are under the supervision of Mr. Emmett Moore, with twenty-five teachers.
One and a half miles from the city is the Cleborro College under the auspices of the Christian church. There are three national banks, with total resources of $7,089,626, with deposits aggregating $6,111,081. One state bank, total resources $1,665,483, with deposits of $1,539,646.
Among the industries of the city are two flour mills, four gins, one oil mill, one peanut plant, a large iron foundry, planing mill, cotton compress, broom factory, a sweet potato curing plant and two ice factories. The shops of a division of the Santa Fe Railroad are located in Cleburne, the payroll of which is about $225,000 per month.
There are about 1,700 people employed by the several railroads. The city is supplied with electric light by the Fort Worth Power & Light Company, and with natural gas by the Lone Star Gas Company. The city is blessed with an abundance of pure artesian water from nine wells, one of which is over 1,500 feet deep. It has the usual complement of mercantile houses, a modern fire department and an active Chamber of Commerce with 200 members. It is on the Meridan Highway from Colorado to the gulf.