Irion County Courthouses
First Courthouse - Sherwood, Texas, built in 1901
Sherwood Courthouse. (Built 1900-1901) First permanent courthouse for Irion County, locally organized 1889. Replaced temporary housing in several buildings. Site was gift of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ripley. Contractors: Martin and Moody. Stone was quarried nearby. Courthouse was used for dances, teachers' institutes, community events; yard, for summer socials. Enclosed to keep out grazing stock, approach was by a stile over fence beside which were water troughs and hitching posts for teams and saddle horses. A 1936 election made Mertzon county seat. Once pride of area, this is now a community center. Historical Marker Text, 1971. Marker located at the corner of Madison and Washington in Sherwood.
Construction - Second empire style 2 1/2-story rusticated limestone structure with pressed metal roof, central clock tower is sheathed with galvanized iron in stamped patterns of classical details. 'Roman arch extrados terminating at sculptural features with simple foliated designs and features encircling likenesses of owls.'-W. Robinson.
Served as courthouse until 1936 when county seat moved to Mertzon. Then sold to Mrs. W. W. Carson for $450 who sold it to the Sherwood Homemakers Club. That club dissolved in 1951 and gave the building to the Sherwood Baptist Church which then dissolved in 1966. R. C. Crabb owned it and sold it to the Sherwood Community Association.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination form from 1977 (opens as a pdf)
Second Courthouse - Mertzon, Texas, built in 1937 (present courthouse)
Moderne style structure, 3-story brick.. Very simple rectangular building with many windows. Constructed in 1937 with David S. Castle as the architect and Baleanz Construction Co. as the contractor. Modifications were made to the building in 1985 to comply with the Americans with Disablities Act.