Sierra Blanca, Texas
Sierra Blanca was founded in 1881 at the completion point of a long-sought southern transcontinental railway. Sierra Blanca has served as the junction of the Southern Pacific and Missouri Pacific railroads. When Hudspeth County was formed in 1917 from El Paso County, Sierra Blanca was named the county seat, and has the only adobe courthouse in the state of Texas.
The town continues to accommodate travelers along interstate 10 between Van Horn and El PasoEl Paso, Texas which is the main route that connects Texas from west to east. The town was named for the nearby Sierra Blanca Mountains, which was named for the white poppies which grew on the mountains. - wikipedia.org
Sierra Blanca Methodist Church. Organized 1907. County's first Protestant church. Held service in a school until present structure was built 1909; adobe, with Gothic windows, bell tower. Early settlers of all faiths worshipped here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968. - Historical Marker Text. Located 2 blocks N. of Business IH-10 on FM 1111 N., Sierra Blanca.