Hudspeth County, Texas
Hudspeth County, in the Trans-Pecos region of far-western Texas, is bordered by New Mexico to the north, the Mexican state of Chihuahua to the south, El Paso County to the west, and Culberson and Jeff Davis counties to the east. Sierra Blanca, the county seat, is seventy miles southeast of El Paso.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Ables | Acala | Allamoore (Allamore, Carrizo) | Arispe (La Valley) | Cornudas | Dell City | Esperanza | Etholen | Finlay | Fort Hancock | Fort Quitman | Hot Wells | McNary | Salt Flat | Sierra Blanca - county seat
Hudspeth County. Formed from El Paso County; created February 16, 1917, organized August 25, 1917. Named in honor of Claude Benton Hudspeth born in 1877. A native Texan, holder of larger ranching interests, member of the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress. Sierra Blanca, the county seat. Historical Marker text, 1936 (Centennial Marker). Marker location: located at intersection of Business IH-10 and FM 1111, Sierra Blanca.
Hudspeth County was officially organized from eastern El Paso County in February 1917. The county was first to have been called Darlington County, then Turney County, before it was finally named for state senator Claude Benton Hudspeth of El Paso. Sierra Blanca was made the county seat, and the county courthouse there is the only one in Texas made entirely of adobe. In 1920 the new county had only 962 inhabitants, but ten years later the population had climbed to 3,728, due primarily to increased farming. During the 1920s the number of farms in Hudspeth County increased from thirty-five to 194; whereas in 1920 the county had only 160 improved acres, by 1930 some 15,700 acres of cropland was harvested. This was, however, the last population boom in Hudspeth County, as the population fell to 3,149 in 1940, rose to 4,298 in 1950, and then fell again, to 3,343 in 1960 and 2,392 in 1970, before rising slightly to 2,728 in 1980. Read Hudspeth County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
The Hudspeth County Courthouse, shown at right, built in 1917, is the only current adobe courthouse in the State of Texas. The adobe walls of the building are 18 inches thick.
More on the Hudspeth County Courthouse
Hudspeth County Courthouse from Texas Escapes.