Etholen was on the Southern Pacific Railroad four miles west of Sierra Blanca in south central Hudspeth County. According to one source a post office had been opened and closed there before 1884, although other sources hold that the community was not established until around 1885. Etholen seems to have been little more than a railroad station; in 1945 its population was fewer than twenty-five, and it no longer appeared on maps of the area by the mid-1960s. The community was reportedly named for the Etholen Knobs, a nearby cluster of buttes. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.