Towash. Named for Hainai Indian chief. One of first Hill County settlements. Grist mill and carding machine built, 1850, by S. C. Dyer established Towash as a trade center. By 1879 had 15 business enterprises. Declined after railroad bypass. Ruins inundated by Lake Whitney. Historical Marker Text, 1967. Marker located at Whitney State Park. from Whitney take FM 1244 west to park continue through gate about 1.1 miles to marker, located in parkway area across from restrooms.
Towash History from the Handbook of Texas Online.