Prairie Valley, Texas
Prairie Valley. In former Waco Indian region. First land grants were to Elisha Dennis, Manuel Madrigal, and Dr. Levi Jones, physician to Stephen F. Austin, the Father of Texas. First settlers (1850s) included Jesse Hayes, P. P. Whitehead, E. P. Wade. In 1857 Hill County's First Church of Christ congregation was organized here. Settlers by 1870 were families named Burks, Collins, Cranfil, Darden, Edwards, Harris, McIntosh, Page, Walling, and Wilson. Post office, Masonic lodge, school (Hill County Common District 1), and cemetery opened in 1870s. In 1872 the Missionary Baptist Church was organized. Historical Marker Text, 1972. Location: from Whitney take SH 22 south about 3.1 miles - head southeast on FM 2960 and continue 1.3 miles to Prairie Valley; marker is located at cemetery near Baptist Church on CR 2101.