Hidalgo. County seat of Hidalgo County 1854-1908. Known as Edinburgh in 1852. Name changed in 1861 to Hidalgo in honor of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, 1753-1811, parish priest who led the movement in 1810 for Mexican independence. Almost completely washed away by an overflow of the Rio Grande in September, 1887. Historical marker text, 1936. Marker location: McAllen Park, El Texano Drive & First, Hidalgo.
Former Hidalgo Post Office. Oldest in existence. Built 1889 to house a general merchandise store. One part was reserved for the town's postal service, then in its 32nd year, served until 1913. Store owner William Odell, his wife Josephine, and Gumaro, son of co-owner Desiderio Rodriguez, were Postmasters. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. Marker location: First & Flora Streets, Hidalgo.
First Presbyterian Church of Hidalgo. This church began with McAllen's first Presbyterian worship service, held by the Rev. M.W. Doggett in a local lumberyard in 1908. Dr. W. A. King and George Pollack were first elders. Although adversely affected by the Mexican Revolution (1909-1919) the church was sustained by its Women's Society, formed in 1909. The first sanctuary, built here in 1910, was a prominent landmark in McAllen's early history. A fellowship hall was added in 1949, and education building in 1953, and a new sanctuary in 1959-60. This congregation continues to serve the community with a variety of programs. Historical Marker text, 1995. Marker location: 104 S. 4th Street, McAllen.
Hidalgo Public Library
710 E Texano Dr
Hidalgo, TX 78557
Phone: (956) 843-2093 Website