Edcouch History 1937. The Town of Edcouch. The history of Edcouch dates from the sale of lots on a plot of forty acres located almost in the geographical center of the rich Rio Grande Valley, on September 22, 1926. With no outside financial backing, and relying solely upon the natural resources of the surrounding territory, the growth of Edcouch has been little short of phenominal.
In the federal census of 1930, Edcouch—recorded a population of 914, which has remained about constant the past five years, with indications now favorable for another period of growth.
It is with pride that the Edcouch-Elsa Enterprise, oldest private business institution in the city, calls attention to some of the merits of this city and section of Texas. Read the Edcouch History Written in 1937 >>
First Baptist Church of Edcouch. Formed from a non-denominational Sunday School organized in 1920, the Los Indios Baptist Church was organized by the Rev. T. F. Kelly and the Rev. M. F. Drury on August 24, 1924. In 1925 the church moved to land adjoining the Adams Tract Gin and then to a site just south of the future Edcouch town site. The church was called Adams Tract Baptist Church until February 1927, when it moved into the newly platted town and became the First Baptist Church of Edcouch. In 1949 the members dedicated a new brick building. Through mission and community service, the First Baptist Church of Edcouch continues the traditions of its founders. Historical marker text, 1998. Marker location: 931 W. Santa Rosa Ave. (SH 107), Edcouch.