Quanah History 1922. The city of Quanah, which was named after Quanah Parker, the noted Indian chief, grew up with the building of the first railroad, and its progress is typical of the development of the surrounding country. In November, 1885, there was one house on the site, while several other settlers lived in the vicinity. In 1886 a corps of engineers located the town ; in the spring of 1887 the Fort Worth & Denver City Railway, which had begun to build west from Wichita Falls in 1885, was completed to Quanah, the court house was then moved up from Margaret, and by the beginning of 1890 the town had a population, according to the census, of 1,477, a large number of the inhabitants being farmers. About that time, one writer said: "The man with the hoe has entered the county and where a few years ago the Kiowa and Comanche chased and killed the buffalo, are now wheat fields lovely to look upon. But men make cities, and Quanah has men devoted to her upbuilding." By 1900 Quanah had a population of 1,651 and in 1910 was a city of 3,127, while in 1920 there was a population of 4,000.
About the close of the last century Quanah became the terminus of a branch of the Frisco Railway, built across the Red River from Oklahoma. During the following decade the line of the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient was built through the county and put in operation about 1909.
Quanah has three railroads, nine wholesale houses, paved streets, Q. A. & P. round-house and the Quanah Cotton Oil Mill, which is the largest oil mill in West Texas. It has ten church buildings and the bank deposits amount to over $2,000,000. It also has a court house. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
|Quanah, TX High School Class of 1906 Photo online from Traces of Texas||Frisco Station, Quanah, Texas 1910|