Luckenbach. Members of the Luckenbach family and other German immigrants moved here from Fredericksburg (11 mi. NW) in the 1850s. They settled along Grape Creek and soon established a school for their children. the Grape Creek Post Office was in operation briefly after 1858 with William Luckenbach as first postmaster. Later settlers included August Engel, who served as first postmaster when the post office was reestablished here in 1886 under the name of Luckenbach. John Russell "Hondo" Crouch and others bought the town center in 1970 and promoted its rustic atmosphere. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1986. Marker located near the Post Office, Luckenbach.
Luckenbach School. In 1855 pioneer area settler Peter Pehl deeded a two-acre tract of land at this site for the construction of a schoolhouse to serve the Luckenbach School district. Herman Toepperwein was the first teacher in the log building, which was used until 1905 when the present native limestone schoolhouse was completed. The Luckenbach School remained in operation until 1964, when it was consolidated with the Fredericksburg District. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1982. Marker located 3566 Luckenbach Road, from RR 1376 in Luckenbach take Luckenbach Rd. E approx. .5 miles.