Foard County Courthouses
Foard County Courthouse 1891 - The first courthouse was a story, wood building. It was demolished in 1910 when the new courthouse was completed.
This three story buff brick and limestone courthouse was originally constructed with a central dome and clock tower. Classical details include pilasters, flattened entablature with roof parapet, flat arched windows on the rusticated limestone main floor and round arches on the top floor accented with large keystones. This Classical Revival style courthouse was remodelled in 1942 after the building was damaged by a tornado. The portico columns and clock tower were removed.
Foard County Courthouse This is the second courthouse to serve Foard County since its creation in 1891. By 1909, the first courthouse proved too small for the needs of the county, and voters passed a bond election for the purpose of building a new one. The Commissioners Court selected Elmer G. Withers as architect, R. H. Stuckey as superintendent, and G. W. Brillhart of Abilene as contractor. Completed in 1910, the Classical Revival courthouse featured a statue of Lady Justice atop a domed cupola and prominent porticoes with paired Corinthian columns on each side.
Tornado damage in 1942 resulted in the loss of these features, but the courthouse was repaired and still retains the basic configuration of its original design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001.