Oldenberg History 1902. Oldenburg is the name of a settlement about ten miles northeast. of La Grange on the La Grange-Round Top road on the banks of Clear Creek. The surrounding country is rich black land prairie.
The town consists of two stores, a saloon, a physician's office, a blacksmith shop, a tin shop and a gin. Louis Vodkel is the leading merchant of the whole neighborhood, who has been in business at Oldenburg for sixteen years, and Muesse Bros. are the popular young saloon men of the town. They own a fine hall in a beautiful grove of liveoaks. The entertainments given in the park are very popular.
Oldenburg is a postoffice, but not a voting precinct of the county; the people do their voting at Rutersville and Warrenton. It was founded in 1886 by Gus. Steenken, in company with A. Heintze, and named Oldenburg because a great many people of the neighborhood had come from that country, their native home, and settled here. The population is German and Bohemian. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902