Haw Creek, Texas
Haw Creek was established about 1870 by German colonists on the slopes above Haw Creek, near which grew abundant black and red haw trees. A post office opened there in 1872 and operated until 1906. In 1884 the community reported thirty residents, and in 1896, fifty. The settlement also had a cotton gin, church, school, store, and blacksmith shop. Improved transportation and decreased agricultural productivity led to the community's decline, and by 1958 only its church and cemetery remained. In the 1980s most land in the vicinity was used for corn production or as cattle pasture. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Haw Creek History 1902. Haw Creek is situated about ten miles in a northerly direction from Fayetteville on the William H. Sheppard league. It has a rich agricultural surrounding country with the Haw Creek and Cummings Creek bottoms in its immediate neighborhood. It is a postoffice and a voting precinct and consists of a store, a gin and a blacksmith shop. Among the oldest families and settlers in that neighborhood may be named the Menking family, the Aschenbeck family, L. Bartlingk, Drawe and Voelkel. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902