Ellinger History 1902. Ellinger is situated on the branch road of the Southern Pacific Railroad from. Columbus to La Grange, about twelve miles southeast from La Grange. It is located on the W. O. Burnham league; one hundred acres of its present site belonged to John H. Meyer and one hundred to Henry Fordtran of Galveston. The name of Ellinger was given to the place by a Bohemian named Andreas Ondrey, who suggested the name to James Converse, superintendent of the Southern Pacific Railroad, while in conversation with him. It was laid out in 1883 and the first men who opened up business in Ellinger were Fritz Hotmann, Charles and Dan Meyer, Chas. v. Rosenberg and Hill & Hill.
North of Ellinger lies the rich black land Ross prairie, south of it the productive bottom lands of the Colorado River. These rich, fertile lands are separated from each other by a sand and gravel ridge covered with postoak. Therefore the surrounding country of Ellinger, with the exception of said gravel ridge, is a rich agricultural section.
Ellinger has two churches—a Lutheran, with Rev. Robert Heise, who also preaches in Fayetteville and Haw Creek, and a Catholic, situated about one mile north of Ellinger at a place called Live Oak Hill. The Catholic Church is under the care of Rev. Father Chlapic.
The school of Ellinger is under the able management of Prof. Dippel, a conscientious and faithful teacher.
Ellinger has four lodges: The Sons of Hermann, C. F. Steves, president. A. F. Weber, secretary; Woodmen of the World, E. J. Weber, presiding officer, A. F. Weber, secretary; Odd Fellows, and C. S. P. S., a Bohemian lodge.
A large public hall serves as meeting place for public gatherings and for festive occasions.
Before the building of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad to Fayetteville the business of Ellinger was considerably larger. This road, running at a distance of about four miles from Ellinger, has cut off a large part of its trade. Still, as it lies in a rich agricultural section, which, year by year, becomes more developed, it maintains the volume of its old trade and does as much business now as ever, though the scope of country which was tributary to Ellinger has been somewhat reduced.
Ellinger consists of four general merchandise stores, three groceries, two furniture houses, three hardware stores, one implement and carriage house, one drugstore, two' gins, two black smith shops and four saloons.
The writer is obliged to the following gentlemen who took some interest in his work on their home county for their patronage and hopes that the bestowal of their confidence may have been placed on a worthy enterprise and that his work may meet their approval.
The oldest business men in Ellinger are Messrs. J. and B. Wacker, who established themselves in business at Ellinger in 1884. They carry a large stock of staple and fancy groceries, hardware and crockery, and especially a fine assortment of pistols, guns and ammunition. They are reliable gentlemen and substantial, solid business men. Their father, Mr. Dietrich Wacker, was one of the first settlers in Ross prairie. C. M. Steves has a lumber and hardware business of the most extensive assortment, carrying everything from a nail to a stump-pulling machine. A customer can get there articles which he often would fail to get in large size cities. E. J. Weber keeps in his elegant drugstore pure and fresh drugs and other lines of goods that are usually kept in a first-class drugstore. He also serves the public as notary public and sets up all legal documents in binding shape and style. W. F. Burow owns a first-class gin and turns out a superior class of cotton. He constantly studies how to improve his machinery, and on account of his close attention to business has become a model ginner in the county. J. Y. Machalek is a popular young merchant in the furniture and hardware business at Ellinger, and a skillful mechanic. Scheel Brothers are the proprietors of a first-class barroom, which has become the headquarters for the farmers of Ellinger.
In Live Oak Hill, one mile north of Ellinger, Mr. Aug. Girndt welcomes in his elegant saloon his guests from near and far, keeps the purest whiskies and other liquors. He is the proprietor of a fine hall with one of the best floors for dancing that can be found in the county. Young and old gather there for amusement and recreation.
The population of Ellinger is German and Bohemian. Among the first and the oldest settlers of the Ellinger neighborhood may be mentioned Dietrich Wacker, Dan Meyer, John Meyer, Aug. Beyer, Joseph Raabe, Chas. Ehlinger, Sarrazin, Dohm, Jacob Dirr, Peter Koehl, Joe Koehl, Jacob Koehl, Andreas Schreiner, Muegge, Henry Cooke Jos. Sommers, Wm. Hoelscher, Anton Hoelscher, Fietsam, Hy Fattmann. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902.