Cistern History 1902. Cistern is situated in a fertile mesquite prairie of a rich brown chocolate color. Parts of the prairie are mixed with post-oak. A great deal of fine pasture land is still lying out unfenced. About two miles west of Cistern runs the Peach Creek through fertile bottoms. The Peach Creek is a tributary of the Guadalupe River. Cistern is at a distance of twelve miles northwest of Flatonia, at the same distance northeast of Waelder, Gonzales county; ten miles west of Muldoon, nine miles east of Rosanki, Bastrop county, and sixteen miles south of Smithville, Bastrop county. Therefore, it has several market places situated on diverse railroads to bring its products to.
Its is located on the top of a hill which commands a wide sweep of surrounding country. The buildings are around a public square. It was settled in the latter part of the fifties. First it went by the name of Whiteside's Prairie, then by the name of Cockrill's Hill, and since 1863 it went by the name of Cistern. The latter name was given to the place, because, on account of minerals, the wells did not furnish good tasting drink ing water, and the people all built cisterns for water. The water from the wells generally contains iron and sulphur. The water of Slack's well was especially noted for its health-producing and. curing properties and was used by a great many patients. The first settlers were the Cockrills; other old settlers were C. H. Wellborn, deceased; Ira Mullen, deceased; William Brown, Adam Zumwalt.
Cistern has a population of about 150 inhabitants. The population consists of Americans, Germans and Bohemians. They live in the greatest harmony.
The religious side of life is taken care of by Rev. L. P. Netardus, of Praha, who holds services in the Catholic Church, and by Rev. Kern, of Black Jack Springs, who preaches to a Lutheran congregation in the Cistern schoolhouse.
The social life of Cistern centers in the Harmony Club. lts membership consists of Germans and Americans. The founder of the club was Ad. Plentl. The club owns a fine hall with a beautiful park of four acres. The president of the club is Jacob Marburger.
There are two lodges in Cistern: Cistern Lodge No. 155, O. D. H. S., with Leopold Michalski, president, and Carl Rietz, secretary, and a lodge of the Woodmen of the World.
Cistern has a general merchandise store, a drugstore conducted by Mr. Wm. Mennike; a saloon also conducted by him; a blacksmith shop conducted by Mr. Alfred Egg; a gin conducted by Mr. Felix Knight, and a physician. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902