Carmine History 1902. Carmine lies in the northeastern part of Fayette County, right on the Washington County line, on the Austin branch of the Houston and Texas Central. South of it lies the rich La Bahia prairie, north of it is sandy postoak.
It is a thriving business town. It consists of four general merchandise stores, four saloons, two blacksmith shops, one lumber yard, two drugstores, one millinery, one furniture house, one livery stable, two gins, two meat markets. The town has a newspaper, the New Century, edited by Messrs. Menn and Goerdel, two enterprising gentlemen who promise to make a success of their paper. There live three resident physicians in the town.
Of the business men who treated the author of this book with kindness, he mentions Mr. Chas. Wagner, a public-spirited citizen, well known not only in Carmine, but in the county, the proprietor of the leading drugstore in Carmine; Umland & Hoppe; A. M. Weyand & Bro., proprietors of large general merchandise stores, and E. F. Hetzel, a worthy young man from Austin County, who has established himself in the butcher business at Carmine.
There is a Union Church at Carmine in which Lutheran .and Methodist preachers hold services.
Carmine has two lodges, the Woodmen of the World and the Sons of Hermann. In the Woodmen lodge, C. Gillespie is presiding officer and Henry Menu secretary. In the Sons of Hermann lodge, Hermann Wendorf is president and Julius Menke, secretary.
Carmine was built in the year 1884. It first went by the name of Sylvan. After the establishment of the post office at that place, it took the name of Carmine. The first settler in the town was Dr. B. J. Thigpen, who owned the land on which Carmine was built. Almost contemporary with him were Henry Woyand, Phil. Saunders and J. Hill.
Old settlers of the Carmine neighborhood are the L. Fuchs family, C. Krueger, F. Hermann, Hermann Eichler, Wm. Johie, Ed. Garland, Win. Krause and Chas. Meinicke.
The population of Carmine is American and Germans. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902