Dublin History 1922
Dublin History Written in 1922
Dublin. In 1884 the town of Dublin was incorporated for school purposes. R. H. McCain was the first mayor and J. E. Bishop first marshal. In 1879 the first surveying party of the Texas Central Railroad passed The railroad company decided to establish a depot at Mount Airy, four and one-half miles west of Dublin. The citizens of Dublin did not move, but laid out a town along the railroad and began to build. In 1889 the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway was built into Dublin.
The first newspaper, The Dublin Enterprise, printed on a job press, under the firm name of Birchmore & Co., with Dr. J. G. O'Brien as editor, issued its first paper May 16, 1881.
Prohibition was voted in Dublin in 1903.
At present there is a population of about 4,000. There are two national banks and one state bank, with a combined capital and surplus of $240,000 and total deposits of about $1,500,000. There are two modern school buildings, with an enrollment of about 1,000 pupils. Dublin has one refinery in operation and another in course of construction. The third railroad, The Wichita Falls, Ranger & Fort Worth, is now complete and in operation, and Dublin is fast becoming a distributing center. It has three wholesale houses, two flour mills, an ice plant, a poultry packing plant, steam laundry, municipally-owned water and sewer system, good hotels and splendid churches.
Dublin is also the division point of the Frisco, and this company is spending a large sum of money in building a roundhouse and shops here. The town supports a wide awake Chamber of Commerce, and is constantly pushing ahead for any and everything that will lead to further development. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.