El Paso County Courthouses
El Paso county has had three county seats: San Elizario, 1850-1866, Ysleta, 1866-1868, San Elizario, 1868-1873, Ysleta, 1873-1883, El Paso, 1883-present.
The first courthouse, at right, was built at San Elizario in 1850. In 1935, this building was being used as a school house.
Courthouses were built in Ysleta in 1866 and 1871. In 1882 a small two story sandstone Courthouse, measuring only 140'x280' was built in Ysleta. After El Paso became the county seat, the building was used for a school.
El Paso became the county seat in 1883 and the Monarch Business Block, at left, a two story brick building in downtown El Paso was used as a temporary courthouse from 1884-1886. A Grand Second Empire Style Courthouse, designed by Architect Alfred Giles was built in 1886. This building was torn down in 1918, to make room for Liberty Hall, an auditorium.
In 1917, a Classic Revival style courthouse, designed by Henry Charles Trost opened. This building was extensively remodeled in 1955, changing the look and the height of the building.
The 1917 courthouse was demolished in 1992, after the opening of the current (and seventh El Paso County courthouse) in 1991, a glass and steel structure, shown below.
El Paso County Courthouse
County Clerk's Office website
500 E. San Antonio, Suite 105
El Paso, Texas 79901
Fax (915) 546-2012 Main Office
Fax (915) 543-3806 Vital Records Department