Eastland History 1922
Eastland History Written in 1922
The city of Eastland is the county seat of Eastland County and has been practically since its organization. Early in the oil development a city ordinance was adopted prohibiting any drilling within the city limits, and the city, which is under a commission form of government, has been projected and built upon lines of permanency and future development which are somewhat unique in an oil field city. The taxable values of the city are nearly ten million dollars. It has four banks, with an aggregate banking capital of $600,000 and deposits of nearly $5,000,000. It has a complete sewerage system covering the entire city limits, with one incinerator and disposal plant erected and another under contract. It has a bond issue upon which some fifteen miles of vitrified brick pavement are projected and under contract, and work has already been completed on all the main business streets. It has natural gas distributed throughout the city and suburbs by a local concern, and reservoirs containing over three million gallons of stored water, either built or under construction, for municipal uses. It has a one-hundred-thousand-dollar city hall, with an auditorium seating 1,200 people, and a fire department with fifteen firemen and fire equipment representing nearly $100,000. It has a high school and two ward schools, and plans are now under way for the erection of a $250,000 new high school building. It has scholastic attendance of about 1,500 in the city schools. The fire limits of Eastland are very rigid, and practically the entire business part of the city is within fire limits, in which the buildings are of brick or fireproof construction will represent an additional investment of more than half a million dollars.
Eastland. It has two five-story bank and office buildings, representing an investment of more than $600,000, and twelve hotels, with an aggregate capacity of 500 guests. and two new hotels, the Connellee and the Harwood, under contract, which, when completed, will afford accommodations for between 400 and 500 additional guests. The two new hotels med is making a special effort to locate factories and industries of this character. The Oil Belt Power Company, a $5,000,000 concern, has its headquarters at Eastland and its plant three miles southeast of Eastland, on the Leon River. This concern, which proposes to manufacture and distribute electric power and light throughout West Texas, has .a reservoir created by damming the South Leon River, which impounds nearly half a million gallons of water. It has already installed and in operation engines with a capacity of ten thousand horsepower and is now engaged in installing the necessary machinery to double this capacity. From this plant is furnished electric light and power for nearly all of the important cities of West Texas and also power for pumping oil wells and for drilling operations, it having been successfully demonstrated that electricity is the cheapest power for pumping and drilling operations in this oil field.
Within a radius of two or three miles of the city of Eastland is a present and potential gas production of hundreds of millions of cubic feet a day, and it is planned to utilize the practically unlimited water supply available, with the cheap electric power and cheap gas, for the purpose of encouraging the location of industries, and to this end the Commercial Club is offering free factory sites and practically free water. with a remarkably low rate for both gas and electric power. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.