Lone Star, Texas
Lone Star, also known as Barton and Volney, was on the old Bonham and Jefferson road a mile east of Jot 'Em Down in western Delta County.
The area was settled by 1878, when the Lone Star school was established. In 1886 a post office opened as Volney, with Ellen S. Billingsley as postmistress; service was discontinued in 1888. The railroad failed to pass through Lone Star, and the settlement declined as larger rail towns, such as nearby Pecan Gap, prospered. By 1936 Lone Star was no longer identified on maps, though at the site were a school, a church, and one business. The school was consolidated with the Pecan Gap system in 1949, and in 1964 only a few scattered farms remained in the area. Source: Handbook of Texas Online